Friday, August 13, 2010

Window Treatments part 1: Gettin' my sew on!

A few months ago I went to a girls night with some fabulously crafty and talented friends! That night totally inspired me to break out my sewing machine and make some valances. So I began to look for some ideas that would work for the room I was working on. These ideas also needed to be EASY to sew, because I hadn't worked on a sewing machine for over 10 years. Luckily it's like riding a bike, once you know how it comes right back to you. I found a great DIY tutorial thank you Centsational Girl!

After finding the prefect design I was off to search for fabric. There was nothing that I just loved at the local fabric and craft store so I went to visit Triad for the first time. Oh my word, I'm in love. Not only did I find something that I loved but it was on clearance for an AMAZING price! Thanks to a little support from my BFF and Mom I was now ready with all the fabric I needed to get the project done.

The next step was to fire up my sewing machine. I think part of the reason I hadn't sewed in a long time was somewhat emotional. I am sure that sounds silly but it's true. My sewing machine belonged to my Grandma who passed away a few years ago. Before suffering from Alzheimer's my Grandma loved to sew and did it quite often. He machine is one of the only things I have of hers, so getting it out and beginning to use it was just a little emotional. I know she would be so thrilled to know I am using her machine. So here is the first of what I have already decided will be many sewing projects.

BEFORE



AFTER


4 comments:

Ashley said...

Gorgeous Ang!

Coree Keenan said...

Whoa lady! I am quite impressed. Fabulous job! I can completely understand your emotional attachment to your sewing projects. Your grandma was surely loved and this is a sweet memory that you can pass on to your family. Yes, even a family of boys can affectionately remember you working that machine. Go Momma!

teampischke said...

GREAT JOB... what is this place you got the fabric at... I love the ties that go up.

Mindy said...

Oooh, awesome!!! They look great!